The strange point is that 90% users will not customize anything.
The global perception of Ubuntu user experience, will still walk
around the first look.
To gain a new level of perception which is needed for the large mass
(yep - peoples which will cross from XP to Ubuntu not to win7),
a whole new look - by default - it's a must.

And the truth is ...this is very possible, just count Ubuntu Art work,
but a strong voice on the Ubuntu dev. side is still missing.
They need a real UI architect which can assume those decisions.
..probably they got the right people but maybe he don't have the final word,
because I can't believe so much time is passed and still nothing new
on this area
(except Ubuntu Art team work - which is substantial but not official).

2009/10/4 David Zondlo <dzon...@gmail.com>:
> While kde 4.3 does look great and performs so much better than
> previous versions, it still lacks enough stability (for me at least)
> to use on a desktop computer.
>
> Even though ubuntu's default desktop isn't quite as pretty as
> leopard's or vista's (or 7's), in my opinion the ability to customize
> far surpasses its rivals. Plus 9.10's new wallpapers truly are
> breathtaking. Here is my slightly customized desktop:
>
> http://i35.tinypic.com/5oywro.jpg
>
> --

Nemes Ioan Sorin