Dear Thor,

Reply is inline.

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 15:34 +0530, Boudhayan Gupta wrote:

> I can help with the wallpaper website, but I need some hosting space
> which should be able to run WordPress 2.8. Could you manage some?

No, sorry.

I think it's a bit early to worry about hosting.

Let's think a bit about requirements:
- Account management. Would be ideal if people could use existing wiki
accounts.

---- Is possible, if the wiki can use LDAP directory services, or OpenIDs

- Enforce a minimum size of uploads (only for wallpapers), maybe even
one of a list of fixed resolutions/aspect-ratios.

---- Very much possible

- Automatic thumbnail generation.
- Gallery pages with filtering/search.
- Mandatory specification of a license and author(s).
- Categories/Tagging:  photo vs abstract, tagging for a specific release
as the very minimum.

---- All of the above are possible, but will require custom PHP or Python
programming (thus I'll need those features in hosting)

- Comments per submission, ideally nested.
- Notifications (email) on additions, edits, comments.

---- Native features of WordPress.

- Manage source files such as SVG and XCF.

---- A Subversion or Git backend can be used. This will also provide versioning
support. We can use the Bazaar services provided by Launchpad as well.

Very nice to have:
- Ability to link with Flickr. Search both on the site and within Flickr
at once.

---- I know many such plugins. However, searching is tricky.

- Versioning. Allowing to add newer versions of a submission, while
keeping the old ones available. Mark comments as referring to a specific
version.

---- Again, we can use Launchpad as a backend.

Boudhayan Gupta.

Sent from my Nokia(R) 9300i Communicator(TM)