So I got to thinking about the boot experience today and I was wondering if
anyone had any comments on this.

First, I think a successful default booting sequence should have 3
characteristics that are currently not implemented.  1. GRUB2 menu be hidden
on all machines by default and the usplash image load immediately and have
it include a small message saying "Press Esc for more boot options" or
something to load the GRUB2 menu.  2.The transition between usplash and
xsplash should be smooth.  3. The startup sounds would be refreshed and
shortened.  Possibly 4. Make sure the transition between xsplash - log in
screen - xsplash again is smooth as well.

You know what would be a really excellent way to mash-up all this boot
stuff?  Take the current usplash (just a white Ubuntu logo on a black
background) and make the logo "explode" into MadsRH's Swarm
animation<http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-artwork-in-xubuntu-910.html>(or
a Humanized
version<http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/ubuntu-xsplash-animation-human-coloured.html>)
while having the rest of the xsplash elements (background gradient and
Ubuntu name) fade in.  For me, it would really make this whole boot sequence
more integrated and slick.

What I think would be a cool boot experience:
-usplash Ubuntu logo appears with message saying "Press Esc for more boot
options", message disappears after 3 sec, leaving Ubuntu logo
-xsplash starts as same logo as usplash (no transition apparent to user),
background gradient fades in, Ubuntu logo "explodes" into Swarm animation,
the word "Ubuntu" appears above the Swarm
-if your Log In screen enabled, transition to it (perhaps have the Swarm
re-form an Ubuntu logo next to the word "Ubuntu"??) and have the remaining
Log In stuff appear
-Some other quick animation between Log In and a fully loaded desktop
(maybe?), play a 1-2 sec subtle (unobtrusive) startup sound
-All of that in 20 sec or less on a "normal" laptop without an SSD

Do you think that type of boot experience is possible?  Is it desirable?
What would you change?

Of course this is all just fantasy, but I'm curious what people think would
be a desirable boot experience.  Do you have hope that your expectations
will be met in Lucid?

Cheers,