On Wednesday 17 February 2010 06:17:12 pm Vishnoo wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 17:44 +0100, François Degrave wrote:
> > Vishnoo a écrit :

> > > The icon is used only when someone is saving the file to be MS office
> > > complaint.
> > > Why cant we stop using that format , rather than nit-pick over what one
> > > has just chosen to continue to support?

> > > I'd suggest you check again ;)
> >
> > Ok well, you are right. And that is basically... lame. Evince is the
> > default PDF reader, why should the icon be related to Adobe?
>
> There is a difference between PDF and Adobe / Evince.   :)
>
> PDF is an _open_ Portable Document Format. and the logo isnt even been
> used in full. ;)
>
> Adobe is a company with several apps and "Reader" , "Acrobat" is the pdf
> reader and editor respectively. Note the adobe logo isnt used. Their
> logo is different.
>
> Evince is an app too and not a format ...
>
> >  Even under
> > MacOSX the pdf files icons have no reference to the Adobe brand,

I think this is (mainly) due to the differences that Apple and Adobe have had.
In the past I have had problems using Adobe's PDF logo in another icon set I
worked on. They contacted us and told us to change it. It is a slippery slope,
you want to make it recognizable but yet different enough to avoid legal
problems.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Icon_Design has some valuable info,
specifically http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MimeType_Icons

--