On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM, j_baer <bae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are fast approaching the time when community themes need to be in their
> final form. I plan to test next week against a fresh Maverick install and
> report my findings.
>
> I'm not sure what version of Murrine will make the cut but I am assuming the
> "Murrine Daily Build" will be the source. I had some trouble installing this
> version in Maverick today.

The current version in Maverick is 0.90.3+git20100810-0ubuntu1

> I also notice some folks posted themes in the "Ubuntu Artist" area of
> deviantART. I will drop them a note to see if they have some interest in
> Community Themes as there was a lot of process change this release and there
> may be some confusion. :)

Most of the submissions on the wiki are actually tweaks to the default
light-themes. I don't think they are really appropriate for the
community-themes package. As we've already past feature freeze and
beta/UI freeze is tomorrow, I'm not sure if we're going to see any
real changes to the package this time around. We can still continue
pushing fixes to the current themes though.

The lack of submissions is most likely due to the fact that we didn't
really promote the process this cycle. But there is also the fact that
people seem to generally be much more satisfied by the new default
themes. This team/list has also just been very quiet this cycle.

Rather than rushing to just put something new into the
community-themes package, I think that we might better use this time
to start brainstorming for the upcoming Natty cycle. Perhaps Natty
would be a good time to really shake things up, dropping themes that
haven't continued to evolve and trying to generate more excitement
with some completely new content.

Thoughts?

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio
 Ubuntu Developer / Debian Contributor