On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 07:57:48 +1000
Daniel Mons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shane Handley wrote:
[snip]

> > Can anyone rid me of these bastards? I get stabby whenever I see that
> > logo. Or is this something I will be forced to deal with as a BigPond
> > user?
>
> 1) Install BIND on your system (sudo apt-get install bind9).
>
> 2) Set your machine's DNS resolve to be 127.0.0.1 (localhost).  The
> easiest way is to edit your /etc/resolv.conf to have localhost as the
> only name server (sudo echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf).

That won't work :) You need

echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf

or

sudo bash -c "echo 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' > /etc/resolv.conf"

Or heck, just use an editor instead ;)

> 3) Close all Firefox windows (this is important, as Firefox will only
> read DNS changes on startup).  If you have multiple users on your system
> (via fast user switching, etc) close their sessions too.  Reopen
> Firefox, and be free of Telstra's DNS.
>
> BIND9 by default does not have any forwarders supplied, so it will do
> name resolution directly from the root nameservers:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_nameserver

[snip]

If you try this, you might have to configure your router to have its DNS
pointing at the box that has bind9 on it. I tried it here,
and /etc/resolv.conf gets replaced on a new dhcp lease, of course - so you
are likely to just get your router's dns unless you disable that, and point
it at the IP for the box that has bind9 installed.

The other issue here, if you have a multi-boot setup, is that each
distro/install on the bind9 box will also need bind9 or similar installed,
or any other machines on the network will have no DNS when the other
"multi boots" are booted...

Other than that, it works :)

> As another option, I have heard good things about OpenDNS:
> http://www.opendns.com/
>
> But I've never used it myself, so I can't comment.

I've used it - but it does a similar thing if you typo a URL or whatever -
you are redirected to an "opendns" site with a search function and ads.
This didn't bother me particularly, but it isn't The Right Thing either.

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net