On Jan 21, 2008 6:46 AM, Leslie Gossner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  David Whyte wrote:
>  On Jan 20, 2008 9:53 PM, Andrew G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>  Hi dov,
>
> I just wanted to say thank for all this detailed info. Also, the ASUS
> Eee PC sounds like a fun & practical PC to have (I've recommend it to
> a friend who wants to use a laptop for standard tasks..) and I'll
> probably still get a Dell as I'd like to still be able to play around
> with Ubuntu.
>
>  I don't have an EeePC (yet) but I really like its form. Anyways, I
> saw that you could run full blown Ubuntu on there, even with the 3D
> effects. I will probably wait for a slightly better screen. I really
> couldn't work on something with such low resolution, especially if I
> chose to do some programming in an IDE.
>
> Anyways, a video of the EeePC running compiz
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru780Jfc1bQ
>
> Cheers,
> Whytey
>

>  Hmm this is a very interesting discussion. I have an old steam driven
> Toshiba atm and everything on it works but the battery life is woeful at
> best.  I somehow dont think th eeePc will suit my usage. If i was willing to
> spend say $1500-2500 on a laptop.  what couple people recommend as powerful
> yet Ubuntu friendly?  I hate to say it but most likely i will dual boot XP
> and Kubuntu 7.04 (this is the last version of Linux kernel i can get my
> iBurst USB modem to work with).  Xp will just be for games but i play a lot
> of games at work and Wine doesn't love me.
>  Leslie
>
>  P.S Battery life would be a big bonus to me as my current model struggles
> at 2 hours of web browsing.

Hey Guys, I bought a Dell XPS M1210 and just made sure I got a nvidia
card. I bought a dell because they are supporting Ubuntu even if not
in AU yet. I have never booted the bundled OS on it (vista). And dont
regret my decision at all.
I also bought it with a 6 and 9 cell battery. With the 9 cell i'll get
about 5 hours web browsing, and I tend not to use 6 cell unplugged
much. And given my current experience, i'll prob upgrade to a new dell
every year.
- Karl