Ubuntu (actually Debian, but it's in Ubuntu too) has built in automated
management scripts to generate your GRUB menu.lst without needing to get
your hands dirty.

If you can boot cleanly into Ubuntu, fire up a terminal and type

sudo update-grub

The scripts will scan your partitions and boot sectors, and add any
found Linux kernels as well as Windows (and other) operating system
chain loaders automatically to your menu.lst.  From there, merely reboot
and you should see the new entries appear.

There are dozens of other update-* scripts used for system management of
default programs, rc/init.d script management, python management, font
cache management, etc, etc.  Using these over manual hacks is highly
recommended, as they do it "the Debian/Ubuntu way", and the changes
often stick around even after you dist-upgrade in the future (which
causes far less breakages when upgrading to new releases down the track).

-Dan