David Ryder wrote:
> Are you saying that autofs (when installed and configured) will mount a
> drive in a desired location when a program needs it and unmount after a
> user-defined period of inactivity?

That's exactly right.

> As a simple example of a use, when Simple Backups (sbackups package)
> looks for the drive in a particular folder, will it mount it? My feeling
> is that it will not because if the drive is not mounted it sbackups
> creates a folder itself. Hence my predicament. The drive has to be
> mounted in different places at different times and doesn't that bring me
> back to cron jobs and scripts?

If sbackups checks for the directory's existence before creating it,
then autofs will mount it and the check will succeed.

This is really not that hard a problem (many people have solved it many
times before), and if you haven't got it working after this time, you
probably have been looking at it too closely and are missing something
simple.  Find a friend to sit with you and work on it - sometimes an
extra pair of eyes is all that is needed to give you a fresh perspective.

Paul