I have done this twice, once with a Maxtor Mini external drive and once with
a Toshiba U3 Smart drive.

In both cases I removed the partitions and then reformatted.

Gparted has never worked for me except to display the formatted structure of
the device.  The procedure Dave Hall described should have worked.

On my screen, Gparted shows the 'Delete' option as unavailable.

You could try to remove the partitions using Windows.  Right click on 'My
Computer' and select 'Manage' from the dropdown menu.  With your device
plugged in, a screen will show you what your partitions are.  Click on a
partition and select 'Delete'.

Andre