On 14/06/2008, Bevin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've given up on trying to remove the "cd" component.
>  On reflection, the fact that it shows up as two separate devices (scd
>  and sdd) implies that it is something in the hardware.
>  I've also had a go with MS Vista and XP with the same result.
>  I think I'll just happily take the 500Mb and teach my son to ignore the
>  advertisement.
>  (Hmmm.. next experiment - does my son's XP box have something like udev
>  rules so I can tell it to not autorun the advertisement?)
>
>  Thanks for the entertaining discussion.

Hey,

There's a registry entry to disable autorun, though IIRC this will
disable it for groups of devices, though I've never had need to go
looking for fine-grained control over this.

A quick google will net you instructions such as:
Microsoft support: uses cdrom reg key
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155217  (cdrom only)

Random search result: uses group policy key
http://blog.ashfame.com/2008/03/disable-usb-autorun-save-pc-usb-viruses/
 (usb etc)

Another simple option is buying a new stick. The place I usually go to
has no-name 1/2/4/8/16GB sticks for $8/$12/$19/$36/$72 respectively.
While the learning curve here is nice, depending on how you value your
time it may be cheaper to just buy a new one, or go down the nagware
path of 'if you actually do your set chores you could afford one
without adds'. He'd either live with it, do the chores, save for a new
one anyway, or figure out the registry key hack himself :)

cheers,
Owen.