> It occurred to me how powerful Ubuntu is. Even without Gnome ...

Please let me acquaint you with INX which is a complete operating sytem
based on Ubuntu Hardy Heron running totally without X.  Perhaps you have
already tried it.

Designed to show what can be done purely from the command line, it is not
only an invaluable teacher but also a demonstration of the power of the
command line.

Ubuntu as it continues to evolve has increasingly focused on applications
being accessible via the GUI.  While users of other operating systems will
find that this makes exploration of Ubuntu easier and more familiar for
them, there is a real possibility that the command line approach will be
relegated to a less significant role.

After a long period of testing, INX has just reached RC1 (release candidate)
status.

More information is available from the following URL:

http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html

INX was created and continues to be developed by Peter Garrett.

Cheers,
Andre