On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:49:22 +1000
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Please let me acquaint you with INX which is a complete operating sytem
> based on Ubuntu Hardy Heron running totally without X.  Perhaps you have
> already tried it.

Thanks for the plug Andre ;-) Disclaimer: I'm the person to blame for
this Ubuntu derivative ;-) I hope it's sufficiently on-topic for the
ubuntu-au list . Since it is basically Ubuntu with a very different set
of bells and whistles, I think it probably is...

> Designed to show what can be done purely from the command line, it is not
> only an invaluable teacher but also a demonstration of the power of the
> command line.

INX ( INX Is Not X) is now based on Ubuntu 8.04.1 , using the
ubuntu-minimal and ubuntu-standard meta-packages as a base. It is a
live CD designed to give people a fun way to learn about the command
line. It is not just white text on a black console - it might surprise
you.

The structure is a series of menus from which you can choose what to
try out. The most important part of the distro is probably  the series
of tutorials that walk you through some basic command line methods.

You can listen to internet radio, either through a few "hard coded"
options or entering search terms ( say,  "goonshow" :-) )

There are two main browsers, an IRC client (irssi), three file managers
(Midnight Commander, Vifm, Linm), a mail client (mutt) with two setup
options (one uses Gmail, the other your ISP with the IMAPS secure
protocol). The default editor is "Jed" but Vim is included, with
run-time, and of course nano. Zile is included as a tiny emacs-like
editor as well.

As they say, "But wait! there's more!" ... I won't spoil the surprise :)

The iso is about 186 MB, and I think worth the download... ( I'm
somewhat biased of course, as the primary author).

The Release Candidate 1 can be found at:

http://inx.maincontent.net/download.html

If you would like to help with testing the torrent we set up yesterday,
please try

http://inx.maincontent.net/RC1-inx.iso.torrent

It won't be blindingly fast, but we need people to test and report :)

[snip]
> More information is available from the following URL:
>
> http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html

That's mainly to give an idea of how it looks - there is a series of
screenshots. The "home" URL is

http://inx.maincontent.net

> INX was created and continues to be developed by Peter Garrett.

With much help from the members of the INX team:
https://launchpad.net/~inx-devel
https://launchpad.net/inx

--
Peter Garrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>