Hi The List,
I hope this is not too boring, but I can only hope that someone can provide a
clue towards fixing the problem.

As in #3, the three ndiswrapper packages required were successfully installed
in sequence.
These were:
ndiswrapper-common_1.53-2ubuntu1_all.deb
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.53-2ubuntu1_all.deb
ndisgtk_0.6-Oubuntu3_all.deb

The only one missing is ndiswrapper-source_1.8-Oubuntu2_all.deb, but that looks
like it could be source code only.

A fourth attempt to use the new application to install the drivers for the
modem was carefully observed and the following occured:
System > Admin > Wireless Network Drivers > Install New Driver > "Select inf
file" ("Autorun.inf" found in Optus file).
The "+ Install Drivers" label gains a second fine border inside the outer one.
Hard disk activity ceases for more than ten minutes, then there is a flurry of
acrivity for a few seconds and then nothing for at least another ten minutes.
At around that time the fine border was deleted - but no driver was recorded in
the list.
Checking to see if I could open wireless communication I was confronted with
the information "No Driver Found."

It certainly looks as if the software is not doing what it should which is to
run the drivers natively, as they would in Windows. And that looks like a bug
to me!

Suggestions for the next phase?

Regards,

Mike H