Hi everyone

I'd be interested in getting things up and running in Melbourne. I am
involved in Linux Users Victoria (LUV) and the Open Source Industry
Australia (OSIA) Vic branch. I also write some basic Ubuntu related
articles for iTWire.com

I would hope that, rather than work seperately, the various Linux
related groups could work together, especially where there's a common
goal, such as Vantrax mentions with promoting Ubuntu or FOSS generally
to education providers. Personally, I have a few ideas about this,
mostly revolving around becoming a training provider and the
provisioning of Ubuntu training courses, and would love to discuss
this with people.

Hamish Taylor

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Vantrax <vant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ajmorris and I were talking to elkbuntu (the loco leader) about this the
> other day.
>
> From what shes said problem is meetings tend to end up discussing beer not
> anything useful.
>
> Id like to see each state have its own loco which the leaders of all talk at
> meetings for the AU loco.
>
> With such a large country its almost impossible to have people meeting
> together unless they are based around one of the major cities in each state.
> With the rise of interest in linux in the education sector I think  it is
> very to try and get organized so we can show that there is community support
> behind linux, and ubuntu in particular.
>
> Both ajmorris and I are willing to help out if anyone else wants to try and
> get things working again. We can usually be found on the #ubuntu-au IRC
> channel.
>
> You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision,
> determination, and and endless supply of expendable labor.
>
> <No tree's were harmed during this transmission. However, a great number of
> electrons were terribly inconvenienced>
>

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Callan Jefferson Davies
> <cal...@cruzn.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not trying to play or stir politics - if there has been any on
>> > this topic in the past - but just trying to understand the current
>> > status. Is this list the only real communication and activity of
>> > ubuntu-au?
>>

>> Hi Jason (+ everyone else),
>>
>> Good that you bring this up actually. I went hunting around the LoCo
>> sites a while back and came across a whole lot of not much for
>> Australia. I did gather enough information to attend the 8.04 release
>> party here in Adelaide, but haven't really been back looking at LoCo for
>> a while now.
>>
>> I guess I'm replying not so much with knowledge of previous happenings,
>> but to stick my hand up in there air and say hey, if what we need is
>> participation, I'm happy to put in time/resources to help out.
>>
>> I'm not sure what else to put in here, or whether this email is even an
>> appropriate response ....
>>
>> But as far as spreading the word ... I can offer time, knowledge and
>> experience (been a user since 6.06). I work for Adam Internet
>> (Adelaide's 2nd largest private ISP) so if there's a need for the
>> hosting of any websites/forums etc I can look after that without a
>> drama. Also through work I have a lot of "computer-shop" type contacts
>> that might be interested to learn more, or perhaps to refer their
>> customers that want to learn more.
>>
>> Am I on the right path here, or am I totally up in the clouds (riding a
>> bicycle in 41C heat can make a man crazy ...)
>>
>> EOM, for now...
>>
>> Callan
>>

>> --

Hamish Taylor
ham...@devworldit.com.au
+61 435 082 070
Bob Hope  - "I grew up with six brothers. That's how I learned to
dance - waiting for the bathroom."