--- On Mon, 16/3/09, mike james <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: mike james <mike...@gmail.com>
Subject: Vmware on 64bit ubuntu
To: ubuntu-au@lists.ubuntu.com

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if its possible to run Vmware workstation on 64 bit Ubuntu
using more than 4 gig of RAM?
Sorry for the vagueness of the question, but Im doing some research for a
friend who is currently a windows user but is considering 64 Ubuntu so that he
can get better RAM usage to setup a virtual test environment.

Mike

---

Yes you can run a 64 bit os on a 64 bit vmware, you can run a 32 bit os on a 64
bit vmware, you can run 64 bit os on a 32 bit os. I believe quemu, virtualbox,
kvm, xen can also do this.

you can run a "hugemem" kernel to allow a 32 bit os to be able to use more than
4gb.

If you are going to build a test environment vmware is a reasonable option but
there is competition. xen is backed by most of the big linux companies and is
open source.