Thank you all for your suggestions. They have been helpful. It was great to
know that this is possible, and I passed on your advice.
My friend has initially decided to try out the free (beer) version of
Vmware's ESXi server, because it looks easier to setup for a primarily
windows user, and apparently has the functionality required. I did pass on
your suggestions to try the open source equivalents, but he is familiar with
VMware and not a big fan of the command line. Im not keen to push the issue,
because I dont want to leave a bad taste for Ubuntu in the future if it
dosent work out.

I myself have tried VirtualBox and Xen with varying degrees of success. They
were both ok to setup for a Linux guest but much harder to configure for a
windows guest. Things have probably changed in the last 12 months though,
and Ill give it another go when I get some new hardware.

Thanks again,

Mike