ubuntu-au-requ...@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> From:
> Cary Bielenberg <c...@bielenberg.id.au>
> Date:
> Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:57:05 +1000
> Rob,
> It is advisable to have windows installed 1st as Ubuntu will write a
> boot manager in the master boot record for all operating systems.
> Windows will blow it away & only allow access to Windows & nothing else.
> You can recreate the grub menu but it is a long winded process .

Hmm. Thanks, Cary. Prob is that the earliest we're likely to get a copy
of XP is next weekend, and I don't want to leave David without for that
long.

Still, if it comes to it I can back any Ubuntu files up, repartition and
reformat the HDD, put XP on and then reinstall Ubuntu.

Another issue that's come up with my PC, though, is that my sound card
doesn't seem to be working under Ubuntu. 9.04 recognises my Audigy 4
card; I can see it as an option in the drop-down boxes under System >
Preferences > Sound. Still, I have no system sounds and pressing the
"Test" box comes up empty. And yes, the speakers are on and connected.

Any suggestions, folks?

Thanks in advance,

Rob