Martin Visser wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Dave Hall <dave.h...@skwashd.com
> <mailto:dave.h...@skwashd.com>> wrote:
>

>     The ugly
>     Linksys aren't so FOSS friendly since Cisco took over.
>
>     Cheers
>

> I think your view on Linksys needs to be updated, and is almost
> diametrically opposed to the facts. Yes, a number of years ago they were
> "found out" in that they were basically not complying with GPL
> requirements. However since then they have seen the error of their ways
> - http://www.linksysbycisco.com/gpl

To expand on this, I think this is one of the better examples of a
company learning how to comply with open source licenses.

Cisco used and distributed GPL software both directly and through a
number of their sub companies (Linksys, Ironport, etc), but where often
months/years behind releasing binaries and releasing code.  The FSF
initially took legal action, but Cisco did the right thing and contacted
them directly.  The FSF dropped the case, noting that it wasn't about
punishment, but about education.

End result was the two parties amicably agreed to communicate directly,
and Cisco went as far as to hire a full time employee dedicated to
free/open source license compliance.

This is pretty much a textbook case of how license non-compliance should
be dealt with by all parties.

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/05/cisco-settles-fsf-gpl-lawsuit-appoints-compliance-officer.ars

-Dan