I dont know about the politics but my linksys WAG54g v3 works very well. I
have had to reset all its settings once in 2 years and it otherwise
functions normally and remains on all the time. I use it for wireless and
wired connections to a variety of devices, and am able to configure port
forwarding etc and all the usual things you do with a ADSL 2+ modem router.