Geoffrey, Welcome.  And welcome to the world of lots of people providing
helpful advice.  In my opinion, every piece of advice you have been
given to date has been great.

First off, DO NOT GO BACK TO WINDOWS for internet access just because it
has an anti-virus program.  Even without anti-virus, you are much safer
on Linux.

In my opinion (and I have recently been working in banking fraud {on the
good guys side}), anything on the internet is fair game.
I have an account with less than $100 and I do backups every 24 hours,
and I know that one day I am going to have my money stolen and my
computer trashed.  It is a bit like going out into the city at night -
you know you might be mugged so you don't carry a bunch of cash.

If you feel you want to do the "Gen Y" thing and put your address,
birth-date, sexual preference and tax file number on the internet, then
expect the bad guys to take that information and do whatever they can
with it.

I can personally recommend Dansguardian and clamav and backuppc.  If you
decide you want to use full internet banking (or you are really an
international man of mystery), you should really follow Paul's
recommendations and put in things like snort to track what is happening
in your system.