Boot for a live cd (does not matter much, the install is also possible).
i'm not sure where in the process it prompts for your password, it might
be when you scan and activate the lvm or when you mount the partition
you will have to see.

If you are on a live cd install lvm2:
sudo apt-get install lvm2
- scan and activate lvm