My suggestion is to use prepaid if you are concerned with limiting excess usage.

Availability of Optus means you have access to the likes of Exetel and
RegionalConnect who use the Optus 3G network. A price comparison can be found
at whirlpool (for regional Vic for example):
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search&exc=1&state=vic&class=2&type=res&cost=50&pre=3000&conntype=6&speed=512&upspeed=0&contract=99&needhw=yes&upfront=999999