Hi all,

Rather than try to find the right place in the thread/s to put this post
I thought it easiest to start a new thread.

As a bit of background, I started using ubuntu back in the days of warty
- when you wouldn't tell your Debian purist friends that had even tried
it.  I have been hanging around the Australia loco for quite a while (my
list archive goes back to early 2005, IRC is probably longer).  Over the
years I have been involved with a few lost cause projects, but I don't
count the loco in that list - yet.

I haven't put a lot of resources directly into the loco mainly because
how things are atm I don't see the point.

Even though I reply to support emails here, I don't think the loco
should be providing support to users, there is the forums for that.

The loco should be focused on promotion of ubuntu in the broader
community.  I don't think promoting Canonical and their services such as
commercial support or ubuntu one is part of our brief.  We should be
promoting _ubuntu_ the software which is in the official repos and the
diverse community built around that software.  I have become
increasingly frustrated at how shipit is run, but that should probably
go in another thread.

I also think the idea of promoting one distro over another is
problematic and doesn't help the general image of GNU/Linux in the
community.  For example even though I run *buntu almost exclusively on
desktop/laptop/netbook machines, I find OpenWRT and Voyage are far
better for small routers, on complex routers running on x86 kit  pfSense
is usually the go, for servers, where an existing appliance doesn't fit
the bill, I decide between Debian and Ubuntu depending on the
requirements, generally my embedded boxes run Debian.

I have no problems giving people professional ubuntu desktop CDs and
encouraging them to install it and see if they like it.  At the same
time I don't think I'd staff a stand promoting ubuntu.  I prefer to put
my energy into my LUG and broad FOSS events such as SFD.

Most of the ubuntu users I know either don't care enough about their OS
to evangelise it or they are already active in the broader FOSS
community and invest their energies there.

So what is the loco's mission? How does it plan to meet it's goal? What
is the plan?  How does the loco fit with the broader FOSS community in
Australia?  Why are you involved? What are you willing to put in?  What
will Canonical do?  Unless you have shared vision and plan there is no
point in having a committee to oversight it.

So essentially I am saying "is there a point? if so what is it?" :)

Cheers

Dave