Melissa,

We can get Public Liability Insurance through Linux Australia !!!
How does that work ?   How are we affiliated with them?

This is an example of valuable information that could be a topic for an
Ubuntu-au council meeting.  (if there was one to be created)

I agree that going down an incorporated association is a hard path and
should be avoided.
(however it does preclude us from carrying out certain activities, like
fundraising but this could be overcome buy utilising existing  LUGS that
have that capacity)

Cheers.

Andrew.