Hi Melissa,

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 11:02 +1100, Melissa Draper wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 08:51 +1000, Andrew Gaydon wrote:

> > I agree that going down an incorporated association is a hard path and
> > should be avoided.
> > (however it does preclude us from carrying out certain activities,
> > like fundraising but this could be overcome buy utilising existing
> > LUGS that have that capacity)
>
> It doesn't stop us gathering funds. Afaik, all it precludes us from
> doing is holding a bank account under the group name and granting tax
> receipts. IANAL, etc.

Based on my experience (IANAA) you can open a clubs and societies bank
account, but to do that you need an ABN, which can be issued by applying
online.  Tax Invoices can only be issued if you are registered for GST,
which is optional and is not required to obtain an ABN.  I did it
recently when setting up an unincorporated association.

Another me too for (should that be against?) incorporation.  It's a PITA
and if you can get someone to auspice your events for funding
applications and can get LA to cover PLI it isn't needed.

Cheers

Dave