Ryan,
Shortly after replying to your advice I thought more about what you said
and realised that your advice was a logical statement (which, if only
late, is a credit to me). Since then the chmod command has been further
explained in the manner that you have now done.
Thanks again.
Now all I need to get to work are the usage commands. So far no good;
all I get is a bunch of error messages.
By the way this module came with a (linux) live CD which contains many
tools. To use it I must boot on a live CD. I have no idea how to do so
on Ubuntu 10.04LTS.
Perhaps you could tell me, and of course how to reboot on the regular
HDD.
Geoffrey