On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 19:57 -0800, Tom Sparks wrote:

> --- On Sat, 18/12/10, Michael Chesterton <che...@chesterton.id.au> wrote:
> > Ryan Macnish wrote:
> > > Ok, so i will leave the issue of the IRC structure
> > alone, its clear
> > > that some of the loco veterans dont want change, even
> > for the benefit
> > > of the loco. But also if i bring it up again i may get
> > kicked from the
> > > loco.
> > >

> > > So now we have that sorted, i am agreeing not to bring
> > up any more
> > > issues about the loco that need discussing, because
> > its evident that
> > > some people in the loco are disturbed by this. So you
> > will hear no
> > > more complaints nor see any more action from me on
> > this front.
> >
> > I think the above email is a big part in why the team lost
> > status, and
> > it has set back the reinstate a long time. And it's not
> > nisshh's fault,
> > not one bit.
> >
> > > As for the social stuff, if everyone just announces
> > meetings and
> > > events on the social platform of their choice (be that
> > facebook,
> > > identica, diaspora or whatever) then people will
> > re-tweet it and know
> > > about it, so we may get more activity and
> > participation. Even things
> > > like Urban Terror and stuff should be announced.
> >
> > This is a great idea, it will attract more people, more
> > energy, create
> > more events, except the new people will hit the same wall
> > nisshh hit and
> > nothing will change.
> >
> > I would care except there are so many other really fun and
> > vibrant open
> > source related groups in Sydney (where I live) that aren't
> > affiliated
> > with a company. I believe other states are in a similar
> > position, or
> > could be soon.
>
> the more I read about the ubuntu-au community going downhill (losing of our
> offical loco status) , the more I feel some people may not be following the
> Ubuntu Code of Conduct
>
> witch is sad to say :(
>
> tom

No I disagree, it just seem that the status quot just isn't prepared to
listen to any suggestions to actually make any headway. So since the
LoCo loosing it's official status there hasn't been any progress for it
to even be considered. Sadly it's my opinion that it should just be left
as a dead resource until the peeps who believe they know better than all
look back an see why they have no LoCo, I mean OK I was keen to get the
meetings going initially, and I got some heavy resistance when I dare
suggest that a meeting be called on a Friday night (with relatively
short notice) and to the fact that I approached the Ubuntu-LoCo Council
to share my thoughts on the situation at that time, to be essentially be
branded a traitor for doing so. Sadly for me the Ubuntu Australian Loco
is truly (to my mind) dead and not worth the effort to bother to
reinstate. I've also (mostly) discontinued using Ubuntu in favour to
Debian, so my efforts are being focused their where there isn't the
politics involved and I'm free to contribute without the need to be
approved by the Elite Club of Membership!

I'm not intending to flame anyone here these are just my opinions on the
matter, everyone is allowed to share their thoughts just as I have...

--
Scott Evans <sc...@vk7hse.hobby-site.org>