On 31/12/11 11:23, Chris Robinson wrote:
*From:* Jared Norris <jrnor...@gmail.com>
*To:* Chris Robinson <fabricat...@yahoo.com>
*Cc:* "ubuntu-au@lists.ubuntu.com" <ubuntu-au@lists.ubuntu.com>
*Sent:* Friday, 30 December 2011 10:36 PM
*Subject:* Re: Brisbane Install Fest

Yeah it sounds like a good idea but I don't know how useful it will
actually be. Unfortunately it was someone else's idea, I just happened
to implement the "download the whole Ubuntu repository and set up a
cron job to rsync every day" part of it.

Unfortunately it seems to be non-trivial:
http://wiki.debian.org/DakHowTo

There also appears to be a package called Debarchiver:
http://joysofprogramming.com/install-debarchiver-ubuntu/

I think that mostly what they do is generate the package archive indexes, so that the archives can be used as a software source.

I shall have play with it tonight.

With a bit of iptables magic you should be able to redirect requests to the Australian mirrors to a local server running nginx which can serve files from a cloned mirror. Internode supports rsync.

A simpler alternative is to redirect all outbound port 80 traffic via squid using iptables.