On 31/12/11 12:46, Chris Robinson wrote:

*From:* Dave Hall <dave.h...@skwashd.com>
*To:* ubuntu-au@lists.ubuntu.com
*Sent:* Saturday, 31 December 2011 11:16 AM
*Subject:* Re: Brisbane Install Fest

With a bit of iptables magic you should be able to redirect requests to the Australian mirrors to a local server running nginx which can serve files from a cloned mirror. Internode supports rsync.

A simpler alternative is to redirect all outbound port 80 traffic via squid using iptables.

The problem is the indexing, which is the important bit for dependencies, and I suspect for working out which packages need updating. Apart from that you just need to give the correct address for the various repositories in the 'other software' tab of software sources.

Oh, and by the way; if we manage to get this working, then it will be important to change it back after the new system is updated and before the user takes it home!

That's why you do it with iptables (and possibly some dummy dns entries using dnsmasq). If you rsync the repos you don't have to worry about building the indexes and you can update only the bits which have changed since the initial sync.

Cheers

Dave