I've just upgraded from hardy to 8.10 via the dist-upgrade and received
this problem.

I unplugged all hard disks I didn't need and then tried to install 8.10
from CD, that worked just fine...  except, the whole point of the
machine is the RAID file share, so I plugged the drives back in, and it
hangs on boot, intramfs error, says a UUID doesn't exist.

I have upgraded to the latest 2.6.27 kernel that's in the 8.10 updates,
and that was no help.

Can anyone tell me how to manually use the old working kernel?  I
originally thought it was an upgrade problem, so I did a fresh install,
and now grub no longer shows older kernels that i'd upgraded from.  I
believe it may work again if I go back to the way things were, but I'd
rather just temporarily back down the kernel than reinstall hardy.  The
background image in intrepid is so much cooler.  ;)

--
root filesystem fails to mount (sata_nv module is loaded)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/33269