Mozilla Team dailies are in a PPA because they are experimental in
nature; OpenOffice 3.1 has no reason to be unless the process of
backporting it requires some insane procedure that makes them unsuitable
for Backports' quality standards.

The "red tape" to get it into Backports is solely demonstrating the
ability to make the package in such a way that it doesn't unleash hell
upon the users; the value of having it in backports instead of a PPA for
the users is the peace of mind that comes with knowing that the Ubuntu
team has deemed the package suitable for general adoption.

Once the initial package is made, I don't imagine that backporting security
fixes to it will constitute major work. However, the same could be said about
our previous, say, Firefox backports but security fixes for those fell through
the cracks as users became generally disinterested in the packages.

--
Please backport OpenOffice.org 3 to Hardy
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/283137