Fedora is a nice distro which is actually a minefield for RedHat. I
salute RedHat for their contribution to the open source community, all
the technologies they have invented and implemented like SELinux,
paravirtualization tools etc. But Fedora is not for Joe user. It is
kind of geeky distribution to test new technologies. I can give
numerous examples of user-unfriendliness of Fedora. Let me give a few.
First of all, you need to add unsupported extra repositories like
livna, freshrpms, rpmfusion etc. to install packages and which is not
as user-friendly as Synaptic. In Synaptic there is a GUI to add extra
repos easily. There is no simple way to add CD/DVD repositories into
thee package manager yum, which in Debian, Ubuntu is as simple as
inserting the CD/DVD. If the CD is not automatically added, you can
easily add it by running "apt-cdrom add" or use Synaptic. In
Debian/Ubuntu there is a super-duper tool to install manually compiled
software into the package manager, it is called checkinstall. I can go
on like this.

Although Fedora or other distros are inventing new things and Ubuntu
is doing just package management. I will use Ubuntu. APT is so good
that I use it on my Mac too. I install all the linux software via fink
which uses APT.

Nasim
--
M. Nasimul Haque, M.Sc.(SUST)