nice thread. :)

we (ankur) have already passed this young energetic talks/moments/crazy
hackings. But in long run if you don't have any solid objectives, goals,
plans and more importantly dedicated people with dedicated time - it won't
show up in reality.

0. you need a good coordinator, who will analyze, understand the whole
development process, select right resource (hacker) for the right job,
assign works, set milestones and follow up the issues in time. the project
will success with a good team but will fail only for this single person. :))

1. assess your+team members skills. what you know and what you need to know
about customizing a distro. currently there are lots of tools are available.
but first try/learn with your own finger. it's like learning to drive with
manual gear or learning guitar with wooden one.

2. If you want to customize one then start with other distros based on
Ubuntu. I think Mint might be better choice.

3. keep the spirit.

fyi, we started hacking with knoppix livecd. it took around 2 nights for us
to boot it in bn_BD locale. later suzan was able to customize fresh ubuntu
releases within 2 hours by issuing commands manually. we never used any 3rd
party customizing tools in our releases. :)

sorry for the boring post.

cheers,
-jamil