2007/9/10, Peter Stuart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> is the issue here also concerning the
> open sourcing of cartography?

this is a very good question.

THere are at least 2 projects I know related to this question, and
that go in the direction of wikipedia: aka, the users are collecting
the datas with their gps to build collectively the maps

See upct.org and  ... (another one bases on mediawiki that I do not
remember now and cannot find; I'll look for it)

> are companies like tele-atlas
> open source or not?
> i might have a talk
> with those guys
> if it is not.

good luck and thanks.

As they make a good fortune selling their data, I doubt they are ready
to open source anything.

But you may try.

Thanks,

Nicolas

> --
> Linux usr #206738
> Linux Counter http://counter.li.org
> --

Nicolas Pettiaux - email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Utiliser des formats ouverts et des logiciels libres -
http://www.passeralinux.org.
Pour la bureautique, les seuls formats ISO sont ceux de http://fr.openoffice.org