Nicolas Pettiaux schreef:

> Exact, but one of the issue, is that in Belgium for example, most of
> the maps and datas are collected by the National Geographic Institute
> (a former miltary department, now civil but still heavily connected to
> the army) and they are paid by our taxes money. They charge for their
> data, and sell the to private people as well as companies who
> sometimes resell them.
>
> Why pay multiple times for these data of IGN ? In the US for example,
> data collected with public money become public.
>
> THe proble is the same in many European countries as in Belgium

Thats why I say: lets privatise the IGN/NGI, they 'll learn something if
they don't share their data.

I have posted an article about the Bus company DeLijn.be/TEC that should
make their data public, so that hobbyists could walk with their GPS over
the Kemmelberg/Profondeville and would be able to say: "hey, it's only
30 minutes walking to the next bus stop, let's have a beer at the Camp
site near the RTBF antenna, this camp site is owned by some Dutch people
..."

Same for the NMBS, but they do not provide beer either ;-)

Marc

Shortwave transmissions in English, Francais, Nederlands, Deutsch,
Suid-Afrikaans, Chinese, Dansk, Urdu, Cantonese, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, ...
http://shortwave.blogsite.org/    Updated every month or so ...