Hi all,

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 22:30, Theo Schmidt <theo.schm...@wilhelmtux.ch> wrote:
> Another question:
>
> In Jaunty the useful CTRL-ALT-Backspace combination for killing a crahed
> X-server has been discontinued, much to my regret. See discussion:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgCtrlAltBackspace/Discussion
>
> Do you think we should keep it that way, reinstate CTRL-ALT-Backspace, or
> preinstall Dontzap (which allows switching the feature on and off)?

please, don't change the current, just advise people they can install
dontzap if really necessary.
The whole point of disabling Ctrl.+Alt+Backspace is to avoid having
non registered KDE sessions and subsequent data loss by users who just
kill without thinking, and that's unfortunately the majority of our
users in K/X/Ubuntu. Advanced users who really have to kill the X
server can use Ctlr+SysRq+k so the current KDE session can be saved,
or install Dontzap. These changes have been made by Xorg and adopted
by the Ubuntu core devs, period.

I am strongly against any changes in the current release, except a
strong warning not to use the current (proprietary) fglrx drivers and
ATI cards older than 6 months...

Either we do a Ubuntu Swiss Remix or we clearly state that this is
something else, but in the latter case we must be able to do all the
support ourselves. Don't forget that the users will get help online
mostly, hence from the official support ways and those do not support
any changes made by others (just remember the Mint controversy)...

It's already hard for the everyday support in IRC, the forums and the
mailing lists, please do not add another layer of complexion.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org