...Or some corporate-must-be-forwarded-forwarded-to-everyone .ppt file that contains cute kittens the bosses like.. no. we can't have that! :)

/me waves 2 Warex.

On 3/31/10 1:38 PM, Mario Spinthiras wrote:

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Savvas Radevic <vice...@gmail.com

    From: Danny Piccirillo <danny.picciri...@ubuntu.com
    Date: 31 March 2010 07:01
    Subject: Fwd: [FSF] Why I'm rejecting your email attachment: for
    To: Ubuntu local community team contacts
    <mailto:ubuntu-us...@lists.ubuntu.com>>, L-blu <disc...@blu.org
    <mailto:disc...@blu.org>>

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Peter Brown <i...@fsf.org <mailto:i...@fsf.org>>
    Date: Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 21:30
    Subject: [FSF] Why I'm rejecting your email attachment: for freedom
    and the good of the web!
    To: info-...@gnu.org <mailto:info-...@gnu.org>

    Why I'm rejecting your email attachment: for freedom and the good of the
    web!

    http://www.fsf.org/news/why-im-rejecting-your-email-attachment

    BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Wednesday, March 31, 2010 -- The Free
    Software Foundation (FSF) today launched a campaign calling on all
    computer users to start politely rejecting email attachments sent in
    secret and proprietary formats: for freedom and the good of the web!

    The campaign is in support of Document Freedom Day and the OpenDocument
    format. OpenDocument is an ISO standard that allows anyone to create
    software that supports it, without fear of patent claims or licensing
    issues. Documents, spreadsheets and presentations sent in Microsoft Word
    or Excel native formats, or documents created in Apple's iWorks, are
    proprietary and incompatible with freedom and an accessible web.

    "If we are serious about gaining freedom and accessibility for all users
    of technology and the web, we must demand an end to proprietary document
    formats. The best way to get started is for each of us to take
    responsibility and begin rejecting their use. OpenDocument is available
    now, as is free software such as OpenOffice.org that allows anyone to
    create OpenDocument files at no cost. If we can convince the 300 Million
    users who have already downloaded OpenOffice.org, to reject proprietary
    formats we could quickly secure a victory. Let's do this for freedom and
    the good of the web," said FSF executive director Peter Brown.

    The campaign highlights ways in which emails that include attachments in
    secret or proprietary formats can be politely rejected, and the issue
    explained to the sender. Users can respond individually, or email
    administrators can configure their systems to automatically reject such
    messages.

    FSF campaigns manager Matt Lee added, "For governments, businesses,
    archivists and others, it's critical that documents be stored in a way
    that guarantees they can be read for years to come. This hasn't been a
    problem for printed matter, but proprietary digital file formats are
    secretive by nature and get changed every few years, putting at risk
    future access to needed documents. We must ensure that documents we
    store on our computers and that are made available on the web are
    accessible regardless of what computer you use."

    The FSF is providing graphics that supporters can use to promote the
    campaign at http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/spread.

    Reject proprietary formats and use OpenDocument:
    http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/reject

    Learn about OpenDocument: http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument

    Learn about Document Freedom Day: http://documentfreedom.org/

    About the Free Software Foundation

    The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting
    computer users' right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute
    computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as
    in freedom) software -- particularly the GNU operating system and its
    GNU/Linux variants -- and free documentation for free software. The FSF
    also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and political issues of
    freedom in the use of software, and its Web sites, located at
    fsf.org <http://fsf.org>
    and gnu.org <http://gnu.org>, are an important source of information
    about GNU/Linux.
    Donations to support the FSF's work can be made at
    http://donate.fsf.org. Its headquarters are in Boston, MA, USA.

    Media Contacts

    Peter Brown Executive Director
    Free Software Foundation