Sorry for butting into the conversation. While I admin a Laptop for a
relative with no computer experience, I don't own one myself, so take my
comments with a grain of salt.

Am Donnerstag, den 09.03.2006, 09:13 +0000 schrieb Matthew East:
> Me too, please put the power icon back when AC is plugged in.

I agree that it seems to make sense to have the icon shown even with  a
full battery and the power cable connected. But this means that the icon
is no loger a notification - i.e. showing when something of non-critical
urgency happens (like "New updates available" or "Restart recommended"
or even "Charging battery") - but a permanent status indicator, like
network connection, sound volume, system load etc. Shouldn't battery
status be implemented as a panel applet then, like the other permant
status indicators, leaving the notification area for actual notification
icons? This would have the added benefit of a fixed location for the
applet, so that the users can always find their battery status at
exactly the same place.

Wolki