Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> I made a new design that allows a much faster workflow:
>
> http://glatzor.de/filesink/allinone.png
>
> To make the space limitations more visible I made a screen shot of the
> whole 640x480 desktop.
>
> General:
> * The new dialog only has got two tabs. One for the screens and one
>   for the graphics cards. This removes the need to switch to several
>   to only setup a different second screen. Furthermore this gives as
>   space to put extra options corresponding to the graphics card on
>   the second tab (videoram, disable 3D or custom option)
> (* On Xinerama setups we could try to guess the screens and to display
>    an on screen label)
> * Using Screen and Graphics (Preferences) as a name for the dialog would
>   make the gfx card driver settings easier to find
> * The first tab now uses a singular as label, since the
>   configuration options on the left side only affect one/the selected
>   screen
> * Hiding multiple the screens widgets would still scale down the dialog
>   well for single screen setups
>
> Screen Selector (left side of the first tab):
> * In the selector the screens are only listed by their output number
>   and short information (default or disabled). This gives us more
>   space for the options on the right side.
> * The monitors of different cards will be separated by a separator
> * Sexy-Python could be used to put extra information about the screen
>   on a tooltip
> * The icon in the selector will be shaded if the screen is currently not
>   used (disabled)
> * Disabled rules hint to reduce visual noise
>
> Screen Options (right side of the first tab):
> * The options are separated into three groups that are separated by a
>   larger white space: device settings, default screen, secondary
>   screen
> * Orientation support was dropped, since XRandR tends to break
>   Xinerama setups and their is no store/restore infrastructure currently
>   for this option. As a side note: instant apply of resolution changes
>   is now also disabled on dual screen layouts.
> * The make default button and the secondary screen controls are disabled
>   for the default screen
> * The device/model chooser is now also left aligned
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian

Hello Sebastian,

I like your newest version of the layout very much, great job! :)

However, I have one question about the dialog: why isn't it
instant-apply like the most GNOME dialogs? I guess this has technical
reasons, but it would be great if the dialog could be made instant-apply
to better fit into gnome (with guards like timeouts after resolution
changes, naturally).

Regards,
Denis