2008/10/29 A. Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM, petr bug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 2008/10/29 A. Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> It's perfectly supported as designed. Put some template in ~/Templates
>>> and enjoy. If you want to push it to new users, put it in
>>> /etc/skel/Templates and every new user gets them.
>>
>> Where can user put the templates? To ~/Templates dir? No way, he/she
>> does not know that information!
>
> Seems you do though.

I (as a C programmer) did not know that such directory exist
yesterday. Ordinary users are even less likely to know since they
generally do not have computer science degree. I (as a accountant who
does nothing with computers) still do not know.

> Funny how we don't give users credit for being
> able to find out even the most trivial of trivialities.

How can user know where the directory is or where to find out where it
is described?

It is not mentioned in standards.freedesktop.org. Search for "gnome
templates" finds something but it is not a howto. How can user know
that "gnome templates" are the right keywords? The do not know what
"gnome" is or that the feature is really "template". End even then:
why should people search webs for something that they already have
before their eyes?

>>> Choice of menu items vs. Compulsory menu options. Hmm, tough choice eh?
>>
>> [flame on]
>> That's the GNOME philosophy - a feature was made not configurable to
>> make it "just simple", if user does not like it then bad luck.
>> [flame off]
>
> It's perfectly configurable the way it is. Open a folder, drag and
> drop.

Again, open which folder?

Of course, if user knows what directory it is then it is easy. Dialog
with check boxes will be even easier.

> Save the dialog and button twiddling for something that's
> harder to manage, like which volumes appear on your desktop (as GVFS,
> Hal aren't as easy to manage as a folder).

I do not see why we can not have both dialogs. They do not compete.

--
Petr