On 01/15/2009 10:29 AM, Rick Spencer wrote:
> All -
>
> A proposal has been put forward to change the name of the
> "Add/Remove..." menu item.
>
> Problem:
> Platforms such as iPhone and Android have given users the expectation
> that there is a "place" that they can to in order to install new
> software. Ubuntu has good functionality for this, but the name
> "Add/Remove..." is not in line with users' expectations because it isn't
> a "place".
>
> Solution:
> Change the name of "Add/Remove..." to "Software Library".
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers, Rick

I'd like to add an important element to the rationale and see if it
impacts anyones thoughts.

I think the proposal addresses more than a usability problem, I think it
was put forth also to capitalize on a perception opportunity. In other
words, perhaps having a "place" to go is something that users think is
rather cool. We have such a place, but we don't position it as such.

Does this change anyone's thoughts regarding the proposal?

Cheers, Rick