Am Donnerstag, den 15.01.2009, 20:15 +0100 schrieb Oliver Grawert:
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.01.2009, 11:01 -0800 schrieb Rick Spencer:
> > On 01/15/2009 10:53 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > > i doubt she would have that thorough understanding from an opaque name
> > > like "software library"
> > Interesting, so you feel that "software library" is opaque. Perhaps
> > there is another "place" name that would have worked for her?
> well, the thing is that it isnt a "place" but the button in the menu to
> add or remove menuitems. for her it directly does what she expects it to
> do and she immediately understands the concept because the app itself
> visually connects to teh menu structure.
> i'm not sure she would understand the concept of a "software place" as
> replacement that easily ...

I can only second Oliver.

You should also care about the existing users. Why confuse them with
this naming change?

Working on having only a single representation of applications on the
system is a more worthy target: Currently we have got the menu item and
the item in the add/remove dialog. Why not use the same object to start
and remove applications and therefor renaming "add/remove..." to
"install...".

AFAIK gnome-main-menu of Novell tries to take this approach.

By the way ellipses are used to show the user that a menu entry requires
further input. The user interface of gnome-app-install is the one of an
elaborated dialog and not the one of a full application which you would
expect from a "software library" menu entry.

Cheers,

Sebastian