On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 19:40 +0000, Chris Coulson wrote:
> I had a brief look at the gnome-session code when writing the patch, and
> it appears that the only thing that it does differently to the FUSA is
> block on any applications that are trying to inhibit closing the
> session. In this case, it pops up the inhibit dialog. Once the user has
> confirmed this, all it seems to do is send Stop() to ConsoleKit in the
> same way that the FUSA does now.
>
> It seems that the only thing the new FUSA misses is being able to cancel
> the action if some application wants to inhibit it (but that didn't
> happen with the old GDM interface anyway).

That's basically what it does, but it also sends out a signal that it's
going to shutdown to all the applications to allow them to inhibit the
shutdown for various reasons.

http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html#id2735819

This could be that a document isn't saved or just because you feel like
it.  I'm not sure if any apps have implemented all of the new API.
There's been some talk about putting it into GTK+, but I don't believe
that there is anything today.

But, maybe that is the fix.  Maybe we should extend gnome-session to
have enough options that we just call it directly?  That way it doesn't
give us the big ugly dialogs, but it can handle the PK/CK stuff.

There is currently only commands to bring up dialogs:

http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html#org.gnome.SessionManager.Shutdown

                --Ted