On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 20:13 +0000, Ted Gould wrote:
> That's basically what it does, but it also sends out a signal that it's
> going to shutdown to all the applications to allow them to inhibit the
> shutdown for various reasons.
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html#id2735819
>
> This could be that a document isn't saved or just because you feel like
> it.  I'm not sure if any apps have implemented all of the new API.
> There's been some talk about putting it into GTK+, but I don't believe
> that there is anything today.
>
> But, maybe that is the fix.  Maybe we should extend gnome-session to
> have enough options that we just call it directly?  That way it doesn't
> give us the big ugly dialogs, but it can handle the PK/CK stuff.
>
> There is currently only commands to bring up dialogs:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html#org.gnome.SessionManager.Shutdown
>
>               --Ted

Hi,

When I started writing the patch for the FUSA, I expected that
gnome-session exported an interface for restarting and shutting down
directly (without calling the dialog), as it is already possible to do
this for log out (calling org.gnome.SessionManager.Logout). I was
surprised when I realised that it didn't actually support this, which is
why I settled for sending a message to ConsoleKit directly and
implementing PolicyKit support in the FUSA. I think that patching
gnome-session to extend the Shutdown() method (or adding a new method)
is probably a good way to go. This means that other applications (such
as update-notifier's reboot dialog) could hook in to it as well, without
having to worry about PolicyKit support. The patch probably wouldn't be
too intrusive either.

If I have a bit of spare time over the weekend, I'll work on a patch
just to see how feasible it could be to implement.

Regards
Chris