Because of the fact that hibernate (if it fails) can destroy someones
work, I don't feel that the decision to remove hibernate is a bad idea
at all.

If there were time to make it work without a doubt, knowing that
people won't lose their work, then maybe at a future time it would be
plausible to bring back the discussion to see if it would be used
more.

Just my .02

~Brian

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Otto Kekäläinen <o...@sange.fi> wrote:
> I'm in favor of removing hibernate for the reasons Rick expressed.
>
> ma, 2011-01-31 kello 11:04 -0800, Rick Spencer kirjoitti:
>> However, Hibernate works well for some users, so this will be a
>> painful
>> regression[1].
>
> Hibernate works well on my computer, however the speed of starting from
> zero, loading grub, loading kernel, loading saved memory state and
> showing the desktop etc (the hibernate does) is almost the exactly same
> as doing a normal startup, so the hibernate mode is quite useless.
>
> The work done on upstart and other boot time improvements has made
> hibernate obsolete. Thanks!
>
> --
> | Otto Kekäläinen
> | http://www.sange.fi/
>

> --

--Wernher Von Braun
"The second law of thermodynamics: If you think things are in a mess
now, JUST WAIT!!"