I started an attempt at culling the gnome-shell bug list down to a manageable size yesterday. The goal being to formulate a current and shorter list that is not overwhelmingly big or out of date. Then people can start to see the launchpad bug list as achievable and useful. Or at least something we can stop from having unbounded growth.

So I would log enhancement ideas in launchpad, with some tag like 'gnome-18.04'...
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bugs
But that's just me.

Staying where the users are is best for community involvement. And the community is much bigger (hence more powerful) than Canonical alone. But you have to give them a voice, which AFAIK is best achieved in the log of a launchpad bug.