Bryan,

You read my mind. I was in the process of finding out how to add to the list :)

Although gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad does have important uses such as providing audio codecs and the GL plugin, totem will install it on demand, anyway. So yes you should be able to drop it.

I would like to add a couple to that list though:
 - va-driver-all (should include i965-va-driver)
 - gstreamer1.0-vaapi

Those together with some fixes I am working on for them will give Totem hardware accelerated video decoding out-of-the box.

For more information about my intention see:
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntelQuickSyncVideo

P.S. gstreamer1.0-libav is a misnomer:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gst-libav1.0/+bug/1694409

- Daniel