Bjoern Ottervik schrieb:

> [...]

I don't see the advantage of a voting system. Having two rankings is
overkill and adds a lot of complexity to the user interface. I think
that most users are interested in which application has proven its
quality and is therefore used by many others. Voting is a nice feature
of web sites that need to attract users and bind them to the site by
creating "news".

Your suggestion won't be sufficient for most dialup users who don't
have got a broadband connection: "I send you this e-mail immediately,
oh, wait ... I have to wait a little bit before I can use my Internet
connection."

I am against including online data into the user interface of an
offline application. But I am ok with including a reference to the
data on the web.

Generally there are a lot of features that would be nice to have. But
we should focus on the ones that provide a real benefit to the user.
You should think more about "how can we help the user to optimize his
work flow and fulfil his needs" and not about "what features can we
imagine and implement".

So what is the problem that you want to solve by introducing a voting
system?

Cheers,

Sebastian