>The popularity system is really broken. :-)
>Perhaps it could be fixed but I really don't know how...
>Right now, all Ubuntu default apps have 4, some apps have 3, most
>Kubuntu apps have 2, and then the rest have 1.
>
>Take Inkscape for example, 17:th best rated on GnomeFiles with a
>score of 9.05, has popularity 1 in Ubuntu.
>Not everyone needs a vector graphics tool, but people who does think
>it's great.
>
>So the problem is that everyone rates all programs by either having
>them installed or not.
>Voting would instead let people who have tried something give a
>vote, and that would be meaningful!

I am using linux (more specifialy Ubuntu) for several months and I
did not know that there is already a rating system until I read this
thread. I suppose it is gnomfiles.org . So probably it should be more
publicised.

However, I wonder how it can have data about whether a determined
application used or not.

Francesco